Friday, November 16, 2012

surprise super-workout

So that was a little crazy last night, just saying.  I had already trained an hour at my Muay Thai class in the morning.  My plan was to go to my academy's women's BJJ class (an hour of fairly light technical drilling and rolling), rest and hydrate for half an hour, and then try the later one-hour MMA conditioning class for the first time.

But no.  First off, the women's class was cancelled, so everyone who showed up for it was funneled into the 90-minute mixed class.  Longer and heavier training than I expected, and there went my 30-minute break before the next class!  But I had a fantastic class.  It was my first time grappling with a girl I'd known only from Muay Thai; she never mentioned before that she's trained judo since she was 13.  So exciting!  I have an instant new favorite takedown training partner.  Plus it was the night for the bow-and-arrow choke -- very funny.  I almost never use that move, but somehow I got it on two people last night.

Now, of course, going to a class that ends when the next one begins will make you late for the second class. I almost backed out of trying the MMA class under the reasoning that it's unacceptable to be late the first time you show up to something.  But judoka girl is completely irrepressible and also wanted to try the new class, and together we had strength in numbers.  So we requested to join in late, were admitted, and only then did I discover that the one-hour listing on the academy schedule was wrong.  Really, this was a 90-minute class as well.

Again it was a great class -- quality work on boxing, kicking, takedowns, AND grappling, plus sparring with good partners.

I'm very glad I went, but I was expecting a lighter night by far!  It's a tired and sore morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment